- The Children’s Act of 2009 Section 97 says, “No person shall operate a child welfare institution unless he or she is the holder of a licence authorising him or her to operate such institution.’’ It goes on to reiterate that no person shall subject a child to torture or other cruel or degrading treatment or punishment (S61) and also that services discharged to children by every service provider should be done with diligence, fairness, respect for people’s dignity and worth(S32).
- It is against this background that BONELA calls for an investigation into allegations of abuse, torture, degrading and inhumane treatment met by BIRRO on its clients. The investigation should establish if;
- Allegations related to abuse and ill-treatment of children are true.
- The organisation is licenced to provide services to children, given that some children housed at the institution are reported to be 14 years old.
- The organisation has capacity to provide services according to established standards.
- Procedures for obtaining consent are in place.
- There is trained personnel to deliver the programme ie Social Workers, Psychologists etc
- Establish if the facility meets standards of operation
- Establish criminal liability
- The investigation should make recommendations to ensure that the facility is run from a Rights-Based approach-promotion, protection, fulfilment and respect for human rights, while upholding the dignity of clients.
- Lastly, BONELA recommends temporary closure of the facility pending investigation
For more information, contact BONELA on:
Katlego Sechele at firstname.lastname@example.org or 72282025
Cindy Kelemi at email@example.com or 72385054