2nd May 2014 : INVITATION TO BONELA PRESS CONFERENCE: THE INTERNATIONAL CONVENANT ON
ECONOMIC, SOCIAL AND CULTURAL RIGHTS (IECSCR) CAMPAIGN 2014
The above matter refers,
- From May 2014 to October 2014, BONELA will embark on a national IECSCR campaign under the theme ‘From Privileges to Rights’ to build momentum to influence the ratification and domestication of the ICESCR into the Botswana Constitution.
- The campaign will collaboratively be implemented by BONELA and its partners, stakeholders and the public at large. The campaign seeks to hold the government and/or their Council and Parliament representatives accountable and pressurize them to ratify the ICESCR to facilitate a process that ensures that that second generation rights (Socio – Economic Rights) are entrenched in the Botswana Constitution as they are currently not provided for. The campaign will also focus on the general public to support by educating and lobbying their Council and parliamentary candidates to support the ICESCR campaign.
- Essentially, the campaign calls for Botswana to ratify and domesticate this Covenant on Socio-Economic and Cultural Rights is based on the fact that these are rights that matter most to the wellbeing and quality of people’s lives. Without them, the right to life for example is extremely compromised.
- By advancing this campaign particularly in 2014 which is an election year in Botswana, , BONELA asserts and affirms this as an opportune time to make a difference to the way in which economic, social and cultural rights are viewed in Botswana. Ratification of this covenant would mean Botswana adopt and adapt to a rights based constitution that enables the protection and fulfilment of its citizens ‘rights to second generation rights, hence, this campaign.
- This letter, therefore, serves as an invitation for you to attend a Press Briefing on this campaign, to be held on Tuesday 06 May 2014 at BONELA Offices Plot 37208 Block 8, Gaborone. The Press briefing will start at 9:30am.
Kindly confirm your attendance with ‘Bezi Mothubana’ and Lettie Gabontshwe on 3932516 for any further details or engagement you may require.
Thanking you in advance and looking forward to your usual attendance and participation.